Plumbing Maintenance & Energy Conservation Tips
At TRISTATE PLUMBING, INC., our goal is to help clients maintain their fixtures and avoid costly damage. With this in mind, we've compiled a list of helpful tips and tricks designed to help folks lower energy costs while decreasing the risk of long-term damage.
Hints & Tips To Save Money
1. Repair weather stripping and caulking.
2. Check your thresholds (doors) for any gaps or drafts around the edges.
3. Adjust your thermostat accordingly when you're not at home.
4. Install a digital programmable thermostat.
5. Wrap your pipes to prevent freezing and heat loss.
6. Avoid using space heaters.
Conserve Energy During Warm Months
1. Keep drapes, blinds, and shades closed to block out the sun.
2. Keep cool air in by installing insulation and weather stripping.
Conserve Energy All Year Long
1. Change and clean heating and AC filters monthly.
2. Shut doors to rooms you don't use and don't forget to close the vents inside.
3. Turn off the lights when you leave a room.
4. Install motion-activated switches that turn lights on and off.
5. Install water-conserving fixtures for showerheads, faucets, and toilets.
6. Fix leaky faucets. One drop per second can add up to 165 gallons a month.
7. Take showers instead of baths. Filling up a bathtub can use up to 20 gallons, but a 5-minute shower only uses 7.5 gallons.
8. Install ceiling fans. That could save you up to 40% on your energy bill.
9. Use less water and cooler water when doing laundry. Doing so can cut your energy use in half.
10. Run loads of dishes and laundry only when you have a full load.
11. Be sure to always clean your lint filter in the dryer after every load. Filters full of lint use more energy.